Since I’ve been feeding the two hives, I’ve noticed Demeter hasn’t been taking the syrup like Melissa has. I checked them a few days after filling them up and Melissa’s feeder was down to the dregs and Demeter had 1/2 the container still full. I find this disconcerting because Demeter had a lot of empty frames.
In my mind I still separate the two hives with Demeter being my stronger hive. Now that’s not the case.
I checked that beetle trap I have under Demeter:
When I did a hive inspection, I could count at least 5 phoretic mites that I could see on the bees so I knew there was a significant mite load. But the apiary this genetic line comes from is from someone who doesn’t treat (granted this is many years ago) and the beekeeper I got them from only intermittently used powdered sugar. These bees were essentially untreated for anything, no antibiotics, nothing, except for the MAQS I used last year.
So the goal is not necessarily to rid the hive completely of mites but keep the load low enough that it doesn’t negatively impact the health of the hive. I ended up treating Demeter but not Melissa with the MAQS.
The queen survived the treatment, she’s a 2011 queen and has survived two formic acid treatments. She’s a tough cookie.
I don’t think Demeter is going to make it. We’ll see.
And….drumroll please: the piece de resistance!!!!! A new decal for my car!!!