Rubberbanding rogue comb

Melissa had a couple of medium frames in the top deep, and I hoped to get them out before the bees drew any comb on the bottom. Well, I was too late:

Comb on the bottom of a medium frame

Comb on the bottom of a medium frame

Two layers!

So, now what?

So, now what?


I cut the comb off gently because I saw eggs in there:
Rubber bands can solve a lot of problems.

Rubber bands can solve a lot of problems.

I managed to use two frames with the comb cobbled into the frames.

I managed to cobble the cut comb into two frames.

This all happened the last weekend in May and the bees are supposed to attach the comb to the frame. I checked a week later this past Sunday and I found this:

SHOCKING! Something actually happened the way it was supposed to!

SHOCKING! Something actually happened the way it was supposed to!

I'm glad I saved the comb, I saw it had eggs and doubted it had drone comb this late in the spring. I was right.

I’m glad I saved the comb, I saw it had eggs and doubted it had drone eggs this late in the spring. I was right.

This is the wonkiest one and my favorite.

This is the wonkiest one and my favorite.

I’ve heard about strange comb building, particularly on plastic frames and thought I would post my example:

Such strange comb building happening on plastic frames I hear. This comb looks like lungs, fascinating.

This comb looks like lungs, fascinating.

Side view of the same frame. Again, fascinating.

Side view of the same frame. Again, fascinating.

If you recall one of my previous posts with the queen cells, there was that one that appeared to be a capped queen cell until you looked at it from the side, I checked it out because it looked exactly the same and when I cut it open it was just solid wax, not a queen cell. I think that was the spot my hive tool squished some cells and the bees drew it out in that funky way. As a reminder, it looked like this:
See the side? It's actually just filled with more cells, it does NOT appear to be a queen cell.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Rubberbanding rogue comb

  1. Anna: I put the same frames in my deep as well. However most to the comb built on the bottom is drone comb. I use this as a way to control Mites. Mites will always move into the drone comb first. After 20 days I remove the comb and put the frame back into hive. This keeps my mite count real low. I freeze the cut out comb, then place it next to my bird house to clean them out (drones) then add the wax to be melted later. By the way I’m up to five hives now, I will send an update photo to you today. If you add to frames and place into your hives you are adding mites to your hives. Hopes this helps. David Clark

    • Thanks for stopping by David, haven’t heard from you in a while. This wasn’t drone comb so I’m glad I saved the worker eggs like I mentioned in the post.

  2. I recently posted a video of a group who saved a wild colony from a fallen tree and the used the same rubber and method to adhere the comb to the frames. Truly amazing. You are so fearless about experimenting with the bees and new methods. I’m learning a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s