New purple queen! Oh my goodness, my eyes were NOT deceiving me! Two weeks ago, I thought they were queenless and asked Connie for a frame of eggs. I decided to wait a week and see of they were really queenless. Just another week and look!
Remember to click on the pictures to make them bigger and see the details better.
I thought I saw eggs and larvae last week but the sun wasn’t angled right for me to be SURE, until now. Man, what a relief. Not only is the genetics of the hive preserved, the hive is now queenright. The old queen was a 2011 queen and to show the age of the current reigning monarch, I was planning to mark her.
I found these at Walmart:
I tried using the press-in cage to mark her but that was NOT successful. I used the queen catcher to move her into a marking cage:
I tried to put the queen marking cage in between the frames and the cage was so mobbed with bees that she doesn’t appear to have room to leave:
I shook her into the bottom deep and left them alone. I plan to start feeding them at the end of June/beginning of July to get them ready for winter. I hope to be able to harvest from two hives next year, I have some serious honey demands to meet.